Sunday, August 30, 2009

What is wrong with me?????

Well I had an early morning conversation with my cousins daughter a couple of weeks ago. She was getting ready to go home after a terrific slumber party at "the aunts" house. It was about 7 am and she was sitting half asleep on the couch wrapped in a blanket. I grabbed my bowl of Kashi cereal and went to sit by her on the couch. This was the conversation that followed:

Hailee: What are all those dots on you?

Lolly: Those are freckles.

Hailee: Why do you have them and I do not?

Lolly: Well, a red head has different skin than everyone else. There is less color in my skin to protect me from the sun. So, the sun makes all these freckles show up on my skin.

Hailee: But what about this one? Why is this one white?

Lolly: Hmm...Honestly I do not know.

Hailee: Okay.

And that was that. How do you explain to a young mind that you have no clue why some of your freckles are absent of color but obviously a freckle without telling her...."Not sure, but it could be cancer???"

6 comments:

Emily said...

its not only red heads that have freckles. I have had to explain what freckles are to many many children. I really only have white freckles on my shoulders I think.

Jeanne said...

When exposed to the sun long enough the freckels will start to lose pigmentation. thus white freckles. It just means you are old.

Lolly said...

Old...hmm what a pleasant thought. THANKS MOM!!!

Rachel said...

We have the best, funniest mom of all time! I LOVE IT!

Marylois said...

Well, I think the white ones are the only place where your original skin color is still showing. Everywhere else is just a freckle.

All the places you love said...

Don't you guys know that freckles are angel kisses? Now just think of where those angles have been kissing you!