Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Frozen in time.

You will always have those moments that are some how frozen in time. This I know will be one of them. We went camping at Antelope Island that last weekend of summer (for those of us that are teachers). This picture was the calm before the storm. As you can see our hair is being blown back by some pretty fierce winds. We walked down to the water and by the time we got there we were being pelted by a force field of tiny bugs....literally! The wind blew so hard that night that it snapped a pole of my tent in two. This was not a Wal-mart piece of crap tent. I spent boo-koo bucks at Cabellos to get a nice tent that would hold up. So I guess I will be using the warranty on that puppy. All night long the wind blew so loud I could not sleep. Then the rain started. Kyle and I quietly got up and put on the rain fly. It was off because the wind had used the tent as a sail and kept trying to knock the whole blasted thing over.
Let's not forget how Kyle ran to our rescue as well. The three of us girls went through the dark up to the port-o-shed before turning in for the night. Right as we got to the desired location one of the two doors opened. It was dark and hard to see but we all knew our death was eminent. A massive dog came leaping out from the darkness of the first door. It lunged at us with such a loud growling bark that we simultaneously screamed our little brains out! I, in fact fell on the ground and Amanda laid beside me frozen in fear but knowing that she could not leave her favorite cousin in distress. No longer than 30 seconds later Kyle came running through the darkness with rock in hand to save us from whatever had happened. We heart Kyle so much! A true gentleman through and through. Thank you BFF!

The next day we had an insane encounter of spiders. Seriously my worst nightmare come true! I do not know what these devilish creatures were classified as, but a friend called them Orb Spinning Spiders.
Anyone who truly knows me would understand that this would be an unbearable moment. I was told by others in my group that I did really well. Maybe they did not see the one time I almost hyperventilated? We tried to go on a walk out to the end of a peninsula. It wasn't until we got about half way there when we realized that there was no path to continue that did not include death by arachnid. I am dead dog serious here. I also had precariously wedged myself in an area surrounded by my arch nemeses. This was when the hyperventilation started. I seriously almost started crying too, but I knew they would make fun of me later and I could not handle that. So, with a deep and I mean DEEP breath I took off jumping from rock to rock in an effort to out run my untimely demise. I knew if I slowed down they would get all over me and I would be a goner for sure.
I did make it out alive and better than I thought I would. However, Amanda did not. She, in all the great hustle and bustle, fell off of the rocks we were prancing on and scraped off half of her leg. Ouch. I will though, never forget my brush with death. The only other place I have EVER seen that many spiders was on the forest scene from Harry Potter. Yeah, you know what I am talking about! It was that bad!!!!!

7 comments:

Lolly said...

Dude...I am getting the willies just looking at this post. I cannot handle it!!!!!!

Jeanne said...

Well you van now face anything the school kids can dish out.

Lucy said...

Shiver!I think I have had fove whole body shivers just trying to read this.

Rachel said...

YUCK!!! Those are some of the scariest spiders I've ever seen! You are so brave!

Lolly said...

Brave or stupid I am not sure if there was a difference in this instance. We heard there were spiders there so Annie brought spider spray and killed the entire area around our tent. She also brought spider traps to set up at every entrance of the tent. I still wonder if that was enough precautions?

Emily said...

By the first picture I thought it was going to be the story of the perfect weekend but I was mistaken. Sorry that your life sucked for a weekend.

Marylois said...

You are living Harry Potter! First you meet Fluffy then you meet Aragog's children.