Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Lost Sheep

We had a lesson at church on Sunday that has really been sticking with me this week. We talked about when a lamb leaves the flock and how the shepherd goes to get them. It has always given me comfort to know that if I lose my way, my Savior would come to get me. However, this lesson was different. This was not the same come back to the flock lesson I was ready for.

We talked about what really happens after the shepherd finds that lamb. I have always seen the pictures of the shepherd carrying the lamb on his back and just assumed that it was because it was faster to get back to the flock, and the lamb was tired, and he would not have to worry about the lamb following him all the way. IIINNNNNGGGGGKK! Wrong!
I learned that after the shepherd finds the lamb, he breaks its legs and carries it on his back. He does not break its' legs as a punishment but to help it learn. He carries the lamb and it learns that he must rely on the shepherd and in turn never leaves the flock again.

Wow! Talk about pricking on my heart strings. I felt like I just realized that I had 2 broken legs. I thought about all the changes in my life recently. I thought about the depression that I had recently and unexpectedly been dealing with. I thought about all the second guessing and mulling over in my mind that I found myself dwelling on every day as my life was not going in the direction that I thought it should be going. I thought about all the doubt that has crept into my life. And I saw that my legs were in fact broken.

I have been pondering over this since Sunday. I feel such a love for my Savior as I look back to how he has been carrying me and trying to show me that I do not need to do it alone or fight so hard to do it. All I need to do is show that I have faith and trust in him. I feel a great burden lifted and true happiness as I contemplate these thoughts. I feel like my legs will be able to heal soon. I do not need to worry so much about my life. I need to do all that I can do and know that my Savior has his hand in my life.

1 comment:

Marylois said...

O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be! Let they goodness, as a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love; Here's my heart, O take and seal it; Seal it for they courts about.