Sunday, September 11, 2011

A day to never forget

Well, a good friend said I should start up dating this again and I think they are right. I had a conversation with another friend last week about how people seem to be blogging less and less. We scrolled through our book marks of our friends' and families blogs and more than half of them have not been updated in months or years. We discussed how the blog epidemic seems to be wearing off. Yet, we wished they would up date because we like keeping connected to their lives in a more personal way. So, with 2 people suggesting that it is time to update...here we go.


9/11/01 - A day to never forget.

I was working at a call center in Durant, Oklahoma. I was the Reports Analyst and would go into work about 4 am to start doing the financial reports from the previous day of business. I usually worked until 9 or 10 am and then I would go to class. It worked great with my schedule because the boss got the reports as soon as they were into work and I got to stay in school and work on my degree. I had been at work for several hours and was feeling particularly sleepy when other employees started showing up around 8 am. I heard lots of whispering and teary eyes. I had no idea what was going on. A fellow employee came up to me and said, I just can't believe it. I replied, you can't believe what? She instantly directed me to CNN.com. I had never used my work computer for anything other than work so I was nervous that the boss would disapprove. I remember the live stream taking forever to load and then I saw thick smoke billowing out of the first tower. I was in shock. I did not understand what I was seeing. I did not understand why someone would ever do this. I just kept thinking about all the people in that building. I worked for the next 2 hours with CNN.com on continuously. I saw the plane fly into the south tower. I saw the tower come down. I watched as the nation stood and stared in disbelief as our country changed that day. In a trance like state I finally turned off the computer and headed to class.

The entire way to class I just kept thinking about all the people that were hurt, scared, and dying. I cried the entire way to class. I felt like, why am I even going to class. But then I knew that I would rather be there than glued to the t.v.

As I walked from the parking lot to the building my class was in, several planes flew over head. I saw people around on campus who were from other countries. I knew that from that moment everything would be different. They would be treated differently and it saddened me. I thought again of the people still trapped in the buildings. I had heard that people were jumping from the windows and I could not contain my emotions. I started crying again. As I paused to regain myself before entering the building a silent prayer entered my thoughts. I still remember saying the words in my head...

Heavenly Father. I know that you are hurting right now. I know that this is as hard for you as it is for us. But I beg of you, please, forget my pains. Forget my suffering. Forget the fears and worries that I am feeling right now, because there are so many more people that need you more than I do right now. Please, go to the people in the towers. Be in the stairwells with those that are trapped and afraid. Be in the office buildings and hold their hands. Comfort those that are in their greatest hour of need right now. Bring them peace.

I know that he heard my prayer and the prayer of millions that day. The only peace that I was able to cling to that day was knowing that even though so many lives were being lost that day, so many lives were seeing their Savior that day. And oh, how sweet his love for them was. It still hurts to think about that day. Though I do not know any one individually that fell on Sept. 11. But I do know that every life that was lost is one of my brothers or sisters. I know that they are in the care of Heavenly Father and they suffer no more. I know that they will see their loved ones again. I know that because of our Savior, Jesus Christ, that they did not suffer alone and that he made it possible for them to return to our Father in Heaven and live forever with their families. So even though someone took their physical life that day, our fallen brethren still live.

I am a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know all these things to be true. I invite any who wish to know of Heavenly Father and his infinite plan for us to come to Christ and follow him. Enjoy the church dedication to 9/11 and feel free to ever ask me any questions or local missionaries in your area.